Entebbe is a city built on the shores of Lake Victoria in Uganda. It’s perched on the northern shores of Lake Victoria, Africa’s largest lake, approximately 37 kilometres south-west of Kampala (Uganda’s largest city and capital). The drive to or from Kampala is about an hour. The city is the location of Uganda’s international airport (Uganda’s largest commercial and military airport) and also the location of State House (the official office and residence) of the President of Uganda.
The United Nations uses Entebbe as a depot and staging area for their vehicles and heavy equipment that are part of peace keeping and other missions in the central African region. Entebbe offers a relaxed stop-over alternative to Kampala on your way into or out of the country by aeroplane, as the air is clean, the streets are safe to walk, and the old colonial gardens and parks with the lake in the background make for a serene atmosphere.
Entebbe is perhaps most famous for an Israeli commando raid on July 4, 1976, when over one hundred mainly Jewish hostages held on a hijacked Air France plane were rescued. The rescue was complicated by the fact that the then Ugandan president, Idi Amin, was supporting the hijackers. Over 40 Ugandan troops were killed by the Israelis during the rescue.
Uganda’s State House, the official residence of the President of Uganda, is on a hill overlooking the centre of Entebbe.
Entebbe not only holds a status as for the only international gate way but also has the status of a game sanctuary, and main attractions include the Ugandan Wildlife Education Center, the Botanical Gardens, and beaches along Lake Victoria.
Entebbe Town: – it was once the seat of government for the Protectorate of Uganda prior to independence, in 1962
Get In Entebbe
Entebbe airport is Uganda’s major gateway and is served by several African and international airlines. As of 2014, there were daily flights from Addis Ababa with Ethiopian, from Cairo with Egyptair, from Dubai on Emirates, from Istanbul with Turkish and from Johannesburg with South African. British Airways, Brussels Airlines and KLM have several flights weekly. Kenya Airlines flies in more than once a day from Nairobi. Read more about the AirPort…………….
To get to Entebbe from the rest of Uganda will usually involve passing through Kampala. You might contact us for the Transportation or use Small minibuses go to Entebbe from Kampala. The journey itself takes 45 minutes to 1 hour, much quicker when you avoid Kampala’s chaotic rush hours.
Boda-boda (Motorcycle Taxi) is the easiest choice to go around. As boda-boda accidents are one of the most common medical concerns in Uganda, hiring our services as a trusted source as recommended it may be wiser.
Things to Buy in Entebbe!
Fresh fruits and wonderful, sweet smelling, black German bread at the authentic, if somewhat cheesy, a bakery that opened its doors on the lakeside in early 2008. A popular retreat for all tourists and not simply Germans, Cafe Bavaria offers excellent pastries and proper microfoam cappuccinos and other espresso-based coffees. They are particularly proud of the organic, free-trade, coffee that they procure from the gorilla-clad slopes near the Rwandan border. Open six days a week, Monday to Saturday, from 7.30am until 10 pm.
Restaurants in Entebbe what and where to eat
- 4 Points Ltd. Bar & Restaurant: – Kampala Road, (By the airport and Pearls supermarket). Great Indian food, good atmosphere cheap beer. Has a bar with a pool table, and expats are welcome. Mid.
- The Gately Inn Entebbe: – Kampala Road. Thai inspired menu. Open for breakfast, and is the only “English” breakfast other than the Boma (need reservations. Friendly atmosphere and warm, oddly quick, service.
- China Garden: – Kampala Road (Across the street from the war monument). Every town has a Chinese restaurant. The food is good, and it’s all outdoors so watch the weather.
- Goretti’s Beachside Pizzaria and Grill: – Lake Victoria. A good pizza by the lake. Service is VERY slow, so plan on having a few drinks. Beautiful scenery, sand in your toes kind of place. Don’t go around dusk unless you don’t mind being eaten while you eat.
- Nickey’s Pizza, Kampala Road (Beside the mosque). Wood fired clay oven pizza. Indoor and outdoor seating. Slot machines and a pool table. Good service and good pizza.
- Faze 3: – “Quick Service, Taste Food” New place in town. Great Deck, overlooks the lake. Good assortment of western and Indian foods. Try the daily pot pie. Great coffee and excellent fruit shakes!
- Café Javas: – “I LOVE YOU JAVAS!”
- Thai Garden: – “Great Food and Nice Service”
- Carpe Diem Guest House and Restaurant: – “Fresh, Delicious food”
- Anna’s Corner
- Maanzo Aperitif Bar and Restaurant
- Entebbe Safari